Today I noticed a break in the rain, so I quickly put on my running shoes and was out the door.  I went for a short run along the Songhees and enjoyed the view of the ocean and the inner harbour.

Before My Run

I made sure to complete a dynamic stretch to warm up my muscles, this way it ensures I will not injure myself during the run.  A dynamic stretch is an active movement where joints and muscles go through a full range of motion to ensure they are warmed up for the exercise to come. The dynamic stretches included leg swings, wide arm swings, gait openings, and butt kicks.

Here is a sped-up version of my dynamic stretch:

After My Run

After completing a short run, I found a nice spot by the water to complete my static stretches.  A static stretch is held in a certain position for 20 to 45 seconds Typically after a run I tend to skip this step, which I know is bad! Although, since this inquiry, I have been working on including these stretches into my routine.  The static stretches I completed were crossbody shoulder stretch, touching my toes, quad stretch, and lunges on both legs.

Here is a sped-up version of my static stretch:

Reflection Time

It felt much needed to go out and move, even if it was a short run. I also really enjoy the view along the Songhees, it is absolutely beautiful looking at the ocean, James Bay, and the inner harbour. Although it was a little windy, I highly suggest to everyone to get outside and move a little. With the semester coming to an end, and assignments adding up, the fresh air has helped me refocus and feel good.

Photo by Filip Mroz on Unsplash